AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) issued a Message urging everyone to seriously reflect in view of the upcoming municipal elections.
"The country's political life is now dominated by a way of exercising authority in an autocratic and abusive manner, which is manifested by the concentration of power and the immoderate desire to preserve it, the manipulation of law and institutions and the destruction of the fundamental principles that are the foundations of the rule of law, " says the Message, a copy of which was sent to Fides Agency.
In the press conference for the presentation of the text, which was held yesterday in Matagalpa (see Fides 26/09/2012), His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez, Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, Secretary General of CEN, read the part of the Message that comments Luke's Gospel: "Jesus condemns this way of conceiving and exercising the authority of society, because it creates an atmosphere of confrontation, or for the quest of power or for not losing it at all costs, and this leads to authoritarianism, manipulation of consciences, corruption, injustice, lawlessness and violence."
Considering the proximity of the municipal elections to be held on 4 November, the Bishops write: "it is an opportunity to reflect on the way power is currently exercised and how politics is practiced in Nicaragua". The Episcopal Conference also criticizes the opposition parties for internal discussion and mutual insults, "that do not originate in democratic reasons, but in looking for more positions of power and personal ambitions." The text continues: "These parties have failed to interpret the feelings of the population, they cannot renew their leader and do not offer alternative clear political strategies, which could lead to the development of a national project."
At the end of the letter, the Bishops remind us that "Every citizen should be aware that, regardless of what one decides about the municipal elections, he/she has the right and obligation to participate in the building of society, not only through proper and responsible conduct in the family, at work and in social relationships, but through specific actions of active engagement in public life." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2012)
- 2013-12-04 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A hundred years of the ecclesiastical Province: a feast with our eyes on the country’s situation
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Nicaragua does not need any Constitution reform", the Bishops say
- 2013-11-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Archbishop of Managua’s appeal to prevent dengue
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Closing of the Year of Faith, praying for peace, but churches are empty because of fear
- 2013-10-21 AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Devious persecution against the Church: the complaint of the Bishop of Esteli
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A city isolated by the miners, Mgr. René Sándigo at work to appease the conflict
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Weapons are not the tool to claim rights" warns Mgr. Herrera after the violence in rural areas
- 2013-10-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused