AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic and Islamic scholars agree on the new Egyptian Constitution
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Towards an agreement to resolve disputes related to the new Egyptian Constitution. This is what is reported according to the newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm, Egyptian political parties, Al-Azhar and the Coptic Church representatives met at Shura Council of Parliament to manage to resolve disputes over eight articles in the new constitution.
In particular, the participants agreed to keep Article 2 as it was in the 1971 Constitution, which states: "Islam is the religion of the State, Arabic is its official language and the principles of Islamic Sharia are a main source legislation." The constitutional amendment of 1980 had changed the last part of the article, stating that "the principles of the Islamic Sharia are THE main source of legislation."
They also agreed that Egyptians Christians and Jews may resort to their religious law in matters of personal status and religious affairs (eg marriage).
They rejected a proposal that makes Al-Azhar the final reference for the interpretation of the principles of Sharia and Islamic jurisprudence, replacing it with the Council of Senior Scholars.
They agreed to cancel the articles on alms, restricting freedom of the press, imprisonment of journalists, and punishing those who offend God, to be replaced by a law criminalizing contempt of religions. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar