ASIA/INDIA - The Bishop of Machado: "Disappointment for the blasphemous film, but no violence"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - "We express with firm and unequivocal words, the disappointment of the Indian Church for this film considered offensive towards the Christian faith, but with peaceful words. We do not want Catholics to follow the path of violent protests, one should always follow the path of the Gospel, of gentleness and dialogue": This is what His Exc. Mgr. Felix Machado, Bishop of Vasai, President of the Episcopal Commission for ecumenism, says commenting on the upcoming release of the Bollywood film "Kamaal Dhamaal Malamaal" ("Laugh, be happy"), whose content is blasphemous towards the Christian faith. The Bishop, a former undersecretary of the Pontifical
Council for Interreligious Dialogue, is in Bangalore on the occasion of the Council of the Bishops' Conference of India (CBCI). "It is necessary to respect the symbols and everything that constitutes the identity of a religious community," he remarks. "We will talk during the Bishops’ meeting in progress – he continues - I think an official position of the Episcopal Conference is necessary to show displeasure. We will ask for desecrating scenes to be eliminated."
The Bishop explains to Fides: "Sometimes minority groups are those who mock religious communities, or carry out actions lightly. I do not think there is hatred towards the Christian faith. But freedom of expression must always be combined with respect for human life, which is sacred. In India we Christians are a small minority, and sometimes this penalizes us. Episodes like this are not good for humanity and religious harmony in the world." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2012)
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/INDIA - Congress of catechists from Orissa, agents of evangelization in the Year of Faith
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/INDIA - Allegations of "forced conversions": Hindu extremists against Christians in Kerala
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - Two missionaries who distributed biblical pamphlets: beaten and arrested
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - The country has the highest number of child deaths within the first 24 hours of life
- 2013-05-07 ASIA/INDIA - No justice for the Christian victims of the massacres in Orissa: the figures of impunity
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/INDIA - Islamic militants to the Christian missionaries: "Leave Kashmir"
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/INDIA - Formation and awareness on rights, health, prevention of women from violence
- 2013-04-22 ASIA/INDIA - Sexual abuse concerning 50 thousand children in 10 years: "What is the value of life?" Asks the Church
- 2013-04-17 ASIA/INDIA - In Kashmir false accusations against Christians for "conversions of children"