AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nicaragua arrived yesterday, September 25, in Matagalpa (a city about 100 km north of Managua), which will host the meeting of the Episcopal Conference. In the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, we learn that at 5 pm yesterday, in the church of San José, the meeting began, followed by a Procession with the image of the Virgen de la Merced towards the Cathedral, which ended with a Mass.
Today, September 26, at the end of the morning, the Bishops will present during a press conference, the pastoral Letter to the people of Nicaragua. The conference, to be held in the Charterhouse of Matagalpa, will be broadcast live from Radio Católica de Nicaragua and the network of Catholic Radio in the country. His Exc. Mgr. Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, anticipated to the press that "one of the key points is the next municipal elections, and we, as Bishops, with the experience and the contact with people, want to express in our message what we have heard from the people." Even His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Baez, Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, said that in the message "we will call the people of Nicaragua to hope, it will be an invitation to all citizens not to be passive in the face of national reality, but to become active subjects in the improvement and transformation of the country. "
The electoral campaign in view of the municipal elections in Nicaragua began on September 20, and will have to end on October 31, to respect the four days of silence before the election, to be held on November 4. Those elected will serve for four years. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2012)
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops