AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nicaragua arrived yesterday, September 25, in Matagalpa (a city about 100 km north of Managua), which will host the meeting of the Episcopal Conference. In the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, we learn that at 5 pm yesterday, in the church of San José, the meeting began, followed by a Procession with the image of the Virgen de la Merced towards the Cathedral, which ended with a Mass.
Today, September 26, at the end of the morning, the Bishops will present during a press conference, the pastoral Letter to the people of Nicaragua. The conference, to be held in the Charterhouse of Matagalpa, will be broadcast live from Radio Católica de Nicaragua and the network of Catholic Radio in the country. His Exc. Mgr. Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, anticipated to the press that "one of the key points is the next municipal elections, and we, as Bishops, with the experience and the contact with people, want to express in our message what we have heard from the people." Even His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Baez, Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, said that in the message "we will call the people of Nicaragua to hope, it will be an invitation to all citizens not to be passive in the face of national reality, but to become active subjects in the improvement and transformation of the country. "
The electoral campaign in view of the municipal elections in Nicaragua began on September 20, and will have to end on October 31, to respect the four days of silence before the election, to be held on November 4. Those elected will serve for four years. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2012)
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter