AFRICA/MALAWI - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The Year of Faith, which starts on 11 October, the diffusion and implementation of the directives of the Post Synodal Africae Munus Apostolic Exhortation, the preparation of the AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa) meeting to be held in 2014 in Lilongwe are among the topics of the Third Plenary Assembly of the Bishops of Malawi. According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the event opened on September 24 at the Catholic Secretariat in Lilongwe, in the presence of His Exc. Mgr. Julio Murat, Apostolic Nuncio to Zambia and Malawi. The presence of a delegation of the Episcopal Conference of the United States led by His Eminence Cardinal Theodore Edgar McCarrick, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington is expected for the conclusion of the Assembly, on September 28.
According to what was reported to Fides by Fr. Piergiorgio Gamba, Monfortan missionary, it is likely that during the Assembly what will also be discussed are "the most pressing issues related to the difficult economic situation caused by the serious recession that requires new planning in the management of hospitals and health care (51% of hospitals belong to churches that give great service to the State), as well as for the educational system." An important point is the evaluation of the political situation of the Country, since the end of April led by President Joyce Banda, after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika. " The Bishops had given President Mutharika sixty days to hand in his resignation, but he died after twenty days ," recalls the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2012)
- 2014-12-10 - Appeal of "Justice and Peace" to international donors: "Do not abandon us in time of need"
- 2014-12-06 - “Corruption scandal consequences ever more serious” missionary says
- 2014-12-03 - AFRICA/MALAWI – The dream of a nation free of the nightmare of AIDS
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-11-10 - "Without outside help the Country is collapsing", says a missionary
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President