AFRICA/MALAWI - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The Year of Faith, which starts on 11 October, the diffusion and implementation of the directives of the Post Synodal Africae Munus Apostolic Exhortation, the preparation of the AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa) meeting to be held in 2014 in Lilongwe are among the topics of the Third Plenary Assembly of the Bishops of Malawi. According to a note sent to Fides Agency, the event opened on September 24 at the Catholic Secretariat in Lilongwe, in the presence of His Exc. Mgr. Julio Murat, Apostolic Nuncio to Zambia and Malawi. The presence of a delegation of the Episcopal Conference of the United States led by His Eminence Cardinal Theodore Edgar McCarrick, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington is expected for the conclusion of the Assembly, on September 28.
According to what was reported to Fides by Fr. Piergiorgio Gamba, Monfortan missionary, it is likely that during the Assembly what will also be discussed are "the most pressing issues related to the difficult economic situation caused by the serious recession that requires new planning in the management of hospitals and health care (51% of hospitals belong to churches that give great service to the State), as well as for the educational system." An important point is the evaluation of the political situation of the Country, since the end of April led by President Joyce Banda, after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika. " The Bishops had given President Mutharika sixty days to hand in his resignation, but he died after twenty days ," recalls the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2012)
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims
- 2015-02-25 - Towards a more "human" prison system
- 2015-01-30 - The story of a missionary: Malawi on its knees due to the damage caused by cyclones
- 2015-01-26 - Cholera, hunger, diseases: new threats for thousands of flood victims in Malawi and Mozambique
- 2015-01-22 - "Mgr. Zuza was a person of great courage", says a missionary
- 2015-01-17 - Mgr. Mukasa Zuza dies in a car accident