AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - In a solemn Holy Mass presided by Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, which was concelebrated by all the Bishops of the Catholic Church in the Dominican Republic, on Saturday, September. 22, the 50th anniversary of the creation of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (EDC), in 1962 was recalled. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the Jubilee celebration was held at the headquarters of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary in Santo Domingo.
The Bishops have been in the Dominican Republic for 500 years, with the arrival of the Spaniards in America. The Episcopal Conference has been in the country for 50 years: in fact, this organization was established on September 22, 1962, although in 1955 a Commission of the Bishops of the Dominican Republic was already created, which anticipated the Episcopal Conference.
The first President of the EDC was Cardinal Antonio Octavio Beras Rojas (1962-1978), followed by Mgr. Juan Antonio Flores Santana (1978 - 1981), Mgr. Hugo Polanco Brito (1981-1984), Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez (1984 - 2002), by Mgr. Ramon de la Rosa y Carpio (2002-2008). In 2008 Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez was re-elected for another term. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2012)
- 2014-03-12 - Christian Churches committed to education, health and rights of 30 000 children
- 2014-02-07 - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 - Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit