AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - In a solemn Holy Mass presided by Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, which was concelebrated by all the Bishops of the Catholic Church in the Dominican Republic, on Saturday, September. 22, the 50th anniversary of the creation of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (EDC), in 1962 was recalled. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the Jubilee celebration was held at the headquarters of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary in Santo Domingo.
The Bishops have been in the Dominican Republic for 500 years, with the arrival of the Spaniards in America. The Episcopal Conference has been in the country for 50 years: in fact, this organization was established on September 22, 1962, although in 1955 a Commission of the Bishops of the Dominican Republic was already created, which anticipated the Episcopal Conference.
The first President of the EDC was Cardinal Antonio Octavio Beras Rojas (1962-1978), followed by Mgr. Juan Antonio Flores Santana (1978 - 1981), Mgr. Hugo Polanco Brito (1981-1984), Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez (1984 - 2002), by Mgr. Ramon de la Rosa y Carpio (2002-2008). In 2008 Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez was re-elected for another term. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2012)
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,