AFRICA/EGYPT - Tension in Cairo, but the Muslim Brotherhood seem to want to calm things down
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The tension is high, because protest demonstrations are expected because of the caricatures which appeared on a French satirical newspaper that offended the Prophet Mohammed. The embassy, consulate and French schools in Cairo are closed for fear of accidents.
Even the President of the Republic is heavily guarded by police and special forces," says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, director of communications for the Catholic Church in Egypt. As last Friday, when the protest was focused against the U.S. Embassy, one waits until the end of the Friday prayers to see if there will be violence.
Fr. Greiche notes that there is a difference in attitude between the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups, especially the Salafis, that animate the protest for the offenses committed to Prophet Mohammed. "Last Friday, the Muslim Brotherhood had announced a major event in the Prophet's name in front of the American Embassy. But the Interior Ministry managed to avoid it. So who took part in the protests last Friday were the Salafis."
For today the Muslim Brotherhood have not promoted any demonstration. The square will be in the hands of the Salafis and even in the hands of criminals who hide themselves in the protests, provoking clashes and trying to create turmoil," notes Fr. Greiche. "Now that the Muslim Brotherhood is in power, they have a more cautious approach. One needs to remember that President Morsi will go, on September 23 to New York for the UN General Assembly, and certainly does not want further unrest," concludes the Egyptian priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar