AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 25 million Nigerians at risk for torrential rain
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - More than 25 million Nigerians who live along the banks of the rivers in the States of Niger, Benue, Sokoto, Katsina Lagos, Ondo, Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Cross River are likely to suffer devastation before the end of the year, due to the torrential rain that has long insisted on several West African States. According to a survey of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", the government has not taken preventive measures in disaster-prone areas in the north, where the drainage system and canals are clogged, and in the South-Eastern States of the Delta region, where the effects of water erosion are being felt.
Already, more than 38,228 people have been displaced in the States of Kano, Jigawa, Cross River, Taraba, Adamawa Niger and Anambra, while about 160 people have died in the last two weeks, with more than 59 communities in difficulty because of the torrential rains that have devastated some states of the federation, especially in the North.
New massive amounts of water are expected due to the opening of the dams in neighboring Countries, such as Cameroon. The Director-General of the water management of the Cross River State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Vincent Aquah, has launched the alarm on the opening of the Lagdo dam, in Cameroon, which has already resulted in the displacement of more than 12,000 people in the State, and that could cause serious damage if the government does not take urgent action. "We have a large volume of incoming water due to the opening of the Lagdo dam, we already feel the effects because there was an invasion of reptiles, including crocodiles and snakes, in many communities," said Vincent Aquah. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
- 2013-04-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 70 churches destroyed in the state of Benue
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Controversy in Nigeria after the massacre in Baga
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Amnesty for Boko Haram, doubts of some bishops who criticize MEND, too
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Stop to arms also those built illegally": Msg. Kaigama’s appeal