AFRICA/TUNISIA - "Serious and unjustifiable offences. No to provocation and violence " says the Church in Tunisia
Tunis (Agenzia Fides) - "Some serious and unjustifiable offences hit in recent days the sensitivity of many Muslim believers in Tunisia and around the world," is what is said in a statement sent to Fides Agency, signed by His Exc. Mgr. Maroun Lahham , Apostolic Administrator Archbishop of Tunis, and by Fr. Nicholas Lhernould, Vicar General. These offences, the statement said, "have become the occasion of a dangerous and tragic increase in tension and violence." "Faced with this situation - the document continues - the Catholic Church in Tunisia expresses its firm opposition to any form of provocation and violence. It appeals to have respect for all faiths, their representatives and their symbols."
"In solidarity with all men and women of good will, the Catholic Church in Tunisia reaffirms its strong commitment to respect, encounter and dialogue between people, cultures and religions, as the foundation of any freedom and of peaceful coexistence between peoples," the statement concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2012)
- 2015-07-09 - Tunisia calls on compatriots abroad to save the tourist season
- 2015-06-30 - "Do not abandon Tunisia, otherwise you will find the extremists at home", says the pastor of Sousse
- 2015-03-30 - "Tunisians are proud of the demonstration against terrorism"
- 2015-03-20 - "Tunisians, peaceful people who want a democratic Country are those who suffer the most" says the Director of the PMS
- 2014-10-27 - "Tunisian society is maturing a democratic consciousness" notes Fr. Alamat
- 2014-01-14 - The challenge of an ecclesial community that is renewed every 4 years
- 2013-08-23 - A day of prayer and peace for the Arab world proclaimed by the Church in Tunisia
- 2013-05-02 - Two armed groups are being chased after on the border with Algeria; concern for jihadists fleeing from Mali
- 2013-01-14 - "After the Tunisian revolution irreversible changes in the Arab world," said Mgr. Lahham
- 2013-01-08 - Father Marek Rybinski's murderer convicted