AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) - A reception center for street children was recently inaugurated in Luanda, Angola. The house, which runs as a center both during the day and night is dedicated to St. Kizito, a Ugandan boy who was killed at the age of 14. It is a cozy, colorful and clean place, as pointed out with pride by the young children who live there in a statement released by Ans. In the large courtyard there is running water, toilets and a well-equipped kitchen.
There are currently 20 children aged between 10 to 15 who in small steps face the difficult transition from street life to the choice of a new path, education and re-appropriation of their dignity. It is a project of international cooperation in which Salesians, VIS volunteers and public institutions work together. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2012)
- 2014-02-13 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/ANGOLA - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said
- 2013-08-27 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Increase sea fishing to contibuire the fight against poverty
- 2013-08-24 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Luanda, the most expensive city in the world where many do not have anything and just few have everything
- 2013-06-06 AFRICA/ANGOLA - More than 52,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in 3 weeks; an NGO reports cases of sexual violence
- 2013-03-21 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The Bishops criticize the words of the leader of UNITA
- 2013-01-26 AFRICA/ANGOLA - 2013 State budget: social spending increases but those for the defense are still remain very high
- 2012-11-12 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children