AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Agreement reached for the Marikana mine, but more unrest in other mines is feared: Bishop Dowling’s opinion
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "We have to wait and see what the workers’ reaction will be from other mines in the area to understand if the agreement reached yesterday will bring peace," said to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg (South Africa), following the agreement reached yesterday, 18 September, between the Lonmin company that operates the platinum mine in Marikana (the scene of the massacre on 16 August when the police killed 34 demonstrators) and union representatives. The agreement, which marks the end a-6-week strike, provides wage increases between 11 and 22% and a prize of two thousand rand (190 euro) for the miners who will go back to work tomorrow,
"We really hope that the situation will calm down after so much suffering. These weeks have been terrible, "said Mgr. Dowling. "Nevertheless this agreement sets a precedent for the other mines, we must see if the companies operating them will be willing to make concessions on this scale," notes the Bishop.
There is a risk that other miners move ahead similar requirements to those of the miners in the Marikana mine. And now there is no news in this regard, as reported by Mgr. Dowling: "I just heard on the radio that the police arrested the participants in an illegal protest in the mine of the Anglo American Platinum, near Rustenburg. It is therefore to be expected that new tensions will happen." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/09/2012)
- 2013-12-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg