AMERICA/ECUADOR - "No to hazardous child labor" children claim their rights through the streets of the city
Guayaquil (Agenzia Fides) - The program for the eradication of child labor in the markets of the province of Guayas was re-launched to the rhythm of the mapalé dance, the marimba, Amorfini and folklore songs. Accompanied by mothers and staff of the Ministry for Economic and Social Inclusion (Mies), 250 students, many of them rescued from child labor, are launching the campaign "No to child labor at risk" through the streets of the city of Guayaquil, claiming their rights and showing posters with "a child who works is a child with no rights, my job is to learn not to work, I have the right to study" written on them. Among music, dancing and traditional games, the provincial director of the Mies-Infa, informed of the existence of five support organizations, 78 technicians present throughout the province, and 948 promoters for the protection of children's rights. Since 2007, the organization had begun to work on a basis of 17% of boys, girls and adolescent workers. Today, in the province of Guayas they have been able to redeem 647 children from the streets and landfills, who have been included in the educational system, while their families have been integrated within the popular and solidarity economy. Objective of the National Government is to eradicate child labor in the country by 2015. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2012)
- 2015-10-05 - Improving access to education for children
- 2015-09-29 - "Supportive and welcoming border": Ecuador and Peru against trafficking and exploitation
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"