AFRICA/KENYA - More than 100 victims in the tribal clashes; the Church asks "politicians not to incite the people"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The discovery of a mass grave in the Tana River District, in Kenya, has increased the fear that more than 100 people have been killed in recent clashes between the Pokomo and Orma communities, farmers, breeders, for the control of water and pasture (see Fides 13/09/2012).
Violence was strongly condemned by the Episcopal Conference in Kenya, that published a document entitled "A Call for peace and Harmony: Thou shall not kill", signed by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi. In addition to asking the authorities to initiate programs of reconciliation and development in favor of the two communities, Cardinal Njue accuses the politicians of fueling social tensions: "Politicians should stop pointing fingers at each other and should avoid issuing inflammatory statements".
The Cardinal also urged the government to establish a commission to find the root cause of the clashes. "We call upon the communities living in the region and across the country to embrace peace and live harmoniously. As Kenyans, we should refrain from any acts of violence against our fellow brothers and sisters," said the Cardinal. The government has formed a judicial commission of inquiry to investigate the conflict in the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2012)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army