AFRICA/EGYPT - Calm is back in Cairo; protesters paid to provoke clashes?
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation in Cairo has now normalized. Calm has returned around the U.S. Embassy and in Tahrir Square. Traffic is back to normal and works are carried out to resettle the streets, scene of accidents, " says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, director of communications for the Catholic Church in Egypt. "The police have arrested several young people, many of them with a criminal past, accused of taking part in the riots of recent days. Investigations are underway to see if anyone has paid these young men to storm the U.S. Embassy. "
The Prime Minister Hisham Qandil announced that some of those arrested have confessed that they were paid to take part in the clashes. "In fact - says Fr. Greiche - it is not normal what happened. It is understandable that there were protests because of the movie, but I wonder why do young Muslims fight violently with the police of their Country, of whom the vast majority are Muslims? It is possible that there is someone who deliberately provokes these clashes."
Fr. Greiche is confident that the government wants to prevent further accidents: "The government intends to restore order in a few days because President Mursi will travel to New York to attend the General Assembly of the United Nations." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar