AFRICA/DRC - Emergency for refugees from the Central African Republic without any source of livelihood
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - More than 1,700 people who fled from the attacks in Central African Republic (CAR) have poured into neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and in urgent need of humanitarian aid.
According to the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), this population, estimated at 1,727 people, is fleeing from the atrocities committed by armed groups that have invaded their villages since June 2012, forcing them to cross the river Ubangi and seek refuge in the DRC. The refugees, from the villages of eastern RCA of Gbasiki and Gbazamba are now in the northern villages of the DRC of Pendu and Guele, and live in very poor health and nutrition conditions, they have limited access to food and drinking water that they get from the river Ubangi, source of diseases. The Office of the United Nations which is responsible for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that these people are in need of everything, and are five times the number of the local population. Pregnant women are forced to give birth in unsanitary conditions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2012)
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23