AMERICA/MEXICO - "Mexico will be great when it will be able overcome violence and corruption" says the Rector of the Basilica of Guadalupe during the national holiday
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Mexico celebrated its national holiday on Sunday, September 16, the 202nd anniversary of independence, with many civil and religious events. The Catholic Church invited all Mexicans to live this event pledging to stamp out corruption and violence in the country. Within the various religious celebrations, here is what the Rector of the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Monsignor Enrique Glennie Graue said in his homily for this feast: "Being Mexican does not mean dressing Charro or Adelitas, singing beautiful songs of Mexico with the mariachi, drinking tequila or saying that Mexico is the maximum. All this is part of a beautiful party, but Mexico will be great when we Mexicans grow up, that is when we have exceeded our complex of inferiority, and we do not express ourselves with shouts and insults towards others, when we, as a society, overcome the violence and corruption that exist in our country."
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that, in the Basilica of Guadalupe filled with the faithful, the Rector said that the Mexicans will have a better country when they stop to see corruption as the way to solve problems. In addition, at the end of the homily, he stressed: "Mexico will reach the maximum when we are more responsible towards all our duties, when we really respect others and their rights, when we end up thinking that fraud and corruption are the way to solve things, when we all unite in solidarity against corruption. " The Rector also asked to pray to the Virgin of Guadalupe because she was present in all the important moments in the history of Mexico, and for this reason citizens must seek her guidance in building a better nation.
Unfortunately, yesterday, the day of celebration for the anniversary of independence, there was news of violence which took place in the country: 17 more bodies of those executed were found in the border area between Jalisco and Michoacan, and two members of the PRI were killed in less than 48 hours. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident