OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - "Year of Faith": a challenge for young people
Rabaul (Agenzia Fides) - The Year of Faith is "an opportunity to renew and revitalize our Catholic faith, and this may be easier for the youth of Papua New Guinea following the footsteps of Blessed Peter To Rot, a model of faith of our time": these are the words the Apostolic Nuncio to Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, Archbishop Santo Gangemi, addressed to the youth of the archdiocese of Rabaul, whom he met a few days ago in a visit to the youth centers of the various parishes and lay realities. Recalling that the "Year of Faith is around the corner, as it will be opened by Pope Benedict XVI on 11 October," the Nuncio urged the leaders of the youth community to "be responsible in the various ecclesial realities, promoting an active participation" in the pastoral life. The youth were engaged in a special formation program, organized by the Commission for the Youth, in the Episcopal Conference of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
The youth of Papua chose two special Patrons: Blessed Peter To Rot, and Santa Maria Goretti. Currently under the guidance of Fr. Shanti Puthussery, PIME, head of the Episcopal Commission for Youth, the youth of the 22 dioceses of Papua and Solomon are following a preparation course for "World Youth Day" to be held in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) in 2013 (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/09/2012)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"
- 2014-05-13 - A priest and a lay extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist have been killed
- 2014-04-24 - Pilgrimage on foot for the 80th anniversary of evangelization in the highlands of Papua
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 - OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?