AFRICA/EGYPT - Many Christians among those protesting against the film insulting Islam
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – Even Christians join their voices to that of the Muslims to protest against the film that denigrates the Prophet Mohammed. This was reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Rafic Greiche, director of the communications for the Catholic Church in Egypt. "Right now demonstrations are in progress in the center of Cairo to protest against the American film which insults the Prophet Mohammed, with several clashes with the police. The situation is tense in the area around the U.S. Embassy, which is very close to Tahrir Square," said Fr. Greiche from Cairo. "It should be noted that among the demonstrators there are also many Christians, the Copts in particular, together with Muslims are protesting against the film. Also on Facebook and other social media, Christians and Muslims are united in the protest. "
In addition to the spontaneous protests of the faithful, even the leaders of the major Christian denominations in Egypt have made their voices heard. "The Catholic Church, the Orthodox and Protestant issued a statement in Arabic against the film in question" informs Fr. Greiche. "The statement affirms that Christians are familiar with the desecration of what is most sacred to them. One recalls for example how in certain TV shows or in some form of advertising Christ or the Pope are represented. We are the first to have experienced this kind of desecration of one’s own religious symbols and are the first to respect Islam and all religions with their symbols," concludes the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/09/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar