AMERICA/MEXICO - The Bishop of Saltillo, honored for his commitment to society and peace, invites to work "for the true dignity" of the country
Guerrero (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Saltillo, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, was shocked by the discovery, on Monday, 10 September, of 16 dead bodies in the northern part of the municipality of Coyuca de Catalán, all executed with gunshot to the head and somewith signs of torture. From an initial police report, it appears that the people are from the area of Michoacan. The Bishop pointed out that currently the area of has the highest level of violence in the country. "I heard what happened and, no doubt, the cause that led to this situation is the widespread corruption in the country," said the Bishop to reporters who approached him in Chilpancingo.
In the note sent to FidesAgency the Bishop says that he attended a meeting of the Popular Assembly of the Peoples of Guerrero (APPG), that on Tuesday, September 11 awarded him the medal "Feelings of the Peoples." This award is given to an institution or to a person for the work carried out in favor of society and peace.
Mgr. Vera Lopez, on receiving the award, said that he learned to be a Pastor in the area of Tierra Caliente, in Guerrero, the region that is now being presented as the most affected by the intense criminal activity. "It is one of the poorest and most damaged, where people live much impunity and injustice. Actually, at the moment, you are the ones suffering most of the situation of violence that exists in the country," said the Bishop to the farmers', miners, teachers and students organizations gathered in the central square of the capital of Guerrero. The Bishop of Saltillo called to work for freedom, peace and the dignity of the country, which has a large number of problems in the social, political and economic field.
Mgr. Vera was greeted by women and children, forming a rope, he was then accompanied to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, where he was welcomed by the Bishop of Chilpancingo-Chilapa, His Exc. Mgr. Alejo Zavala Castro. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/09/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident