AMERICA/PERU - "To resume dialogue and conclude the pending issues": the invitation of Mgr. Cabrejos on the Conga matter
Cajamarca (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Trujillo and member of the Commission for dialogue on the events of the area of Cajamarca (see Fides 05/07/2012), His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, OFM., welcomed the government's decision to lift the state of emergency in the area of Cajamarca: in this way it will strengthen the conditions to build confidence and help start constructive dialogue between all parties involved to resolve the problem. The population of Cajamarca has been protesting against the U.S. Conga mining project for a long time, which provides for the opening of a number of mines in the area, as it believes that its implementation will irreparably damage the environment and especially water sources. The protests have acquired violent tones with deaths and injuries and the declaration of a state of emergency.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference, the Archbishop of Cabrejos says: "I invite all stakeholders in the mining issue of Cajamarca to put all their efforts, with the best intentions, to resume dialogue, which leads to analyzing the pending issues, which are fundamental for the progress and welfare of the entire people of Cajamarca. "
According to information gathered by Fides Agency, the local press announced that the area is preparing a large demonstration against the government by school teachers for next Wednesday, September 12. The police, in riot gear, is still present in several places in the city of Cajamarca. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/09/2012)
- 2014-03-07 AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/PERU’ - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 AMERICA/PERU - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/PERU - "Without communication, there are no rights"
- 2013-12-21 AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
- 2013-12-18 AMERICA/PERU – A religious woman receives the award for Human Rights
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus