AMERICA/PERU - "To resume dialogue and conclude the pending issues": the invitation of Mgr. Cabrejos on the Conga matter
Cajamarca (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Trujillo and member of the Commission for dialogue on the events of the area of Cajamarca (see Fides 05/07/2012), His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, OFM., welcomed the government's decision to lift the state of emergency in the area of Cajamarca: in this way it will strengthen the conditions to build confidence and help start constructive dialogue between all parties involved to resolve the problem. The population of Cajamarca has been protesting against the U.S. Conga mining project for a long time, which provides for the opening of a number of mines in the area, as it believes that its implementation will irreparably damage the environment and especially water sources. The protests have acquired violent tones with deaths and injuries and the declaration of a state of emergency.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference, the Archbishop of Cabrejos says: "I invite all stakeholders in the mining issue of Cajamarca to put all their efforts, with the best intentions, to resume dialogue, which leads to analyzing the pending issues, which are fundamental for the progress and welfare of the entire people of Cajamarca. "
According to information gathered by Fides Agency, the local press announced that the area is preparing a large demonstration against the government by school teachers for next Wednesday, September 12. The police, in riot gear, is still present in several places in the city of Cajamarca. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/09/2012)
- 2013-04-25 AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/PERU - Thousands for the March for Life, rather than a law, the testimony of the population
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/PERU - For the first time the "Sowers of Stars" march in the streets of the Peruvian capital
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
- 2012-11-13 AMERICA/PERU- Forced labor for 200 000 children in the region of Puno
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/PERU - "Being able to read, listen, see": a Congress on the ethical responsibility of spectators
- 2012-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - New website guides the faithful Peruvians in the Year of Faith
- 2012-10-17 AMERICA/PERU - "To carry out mission in an area where there are scars of violence": the testimony of the Archbishop of Ayacucho