AMERICA/PERU - "To resume dialogue and conclude the pending issues": the invitation of Mgr. Cabrejos on the Conga matter
Cajamarca (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Trujillo and member of the Commission for dialogue on the events of the area of Cajamarca (see Fides 05/07/2012), His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, OFM., welcomed the government's decision to lift the state of emergency in the area of Cajamarca: in this way it will strengthen the conditions to build confidence and help start constructive dialogue between all parties involved to resolve the problem. The population of Cajamarca has been protesting against the U.S. Conga mining project for a long time, which provides for the opening of a number of mines in the area, as it believes that its implementation will irreparably damage the environment and especially water sources. The protests have acquired violent tones with deaths and injuries and the declaration of a state of emergency.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference, the Archbishop of Cabrejos says: "I invite all stakeholders in the mining issue of Cajamarca to put all their efforts, with the best intentions, to resume dialogue, which leads to analyzing the pending issues, which are fundamental for the progress and welfare of the entire people of Cajamarca. "
According to information gathered by Fides Agency, the local press announced that the area is preparing a large demonstration against the government by school teachers for next Wednesday, September 12. The police, in riot gear, is still present in several places in the city of Cajamarca. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/09/2012)
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/PERU - Exclusion and discrimination, but also struggle and resistance for indigenous women around the world
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/PERU - 5,000 malnourished children in the province of Santa
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - In one year children working and living on the streets have increased by 200%
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - Also the indigenous children Kukama took part in the "TINKUY 2013"
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Migrants' Day, October - month of the Lord of Miracles
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
- 2013-10-04 AMERICA/PERU - "Share your faith ... and also your bread": missionary month in the sign of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/PERU - Children and women exploited in sweatshops in the Amazon
- 2013-09-25 AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors