AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - More than half of African children are "non-existent"
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) – They are born, live, die, but do not appear to have ever lived: more than half of African children are still not registered in the list at the time of birth and thus are devoid of any right, resulting as "non-existent " citizens . This is what emerged in the II Conference on Civil Registry, being held in Durban, South Africa, organized by the Children's Fund for the United Nations (UNICEF). According to the calculations made in a poor rural area, where people live on less than $ 1 a day, a resident would have to pay $ 25 to register the birth of their child in an urban center and obtain the certificate. In the twenty-first century this legacy of colonialism that involves the recognition of the unborn and deaths still survives. Among other risks of this serious shortcoming, if minors are arrested, they are treated according to the laws that is applied to adults, since there are no documents certifying their age. The phenomenon has been recognized as being particularly serious in Somalia, Southern Sudan and Uganda. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2012)
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer
- 2012-09-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Agreement reached for the Marikana mine, but more unrest in other mines is feared: Bishop Dowling’s opinion
- 2012-09-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Mine in Marikana: an agreement for peace has been reached, but it is not signed by all
- 2012-09-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - More than half of African children are "non-existent"
- 2012-09-04 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop