AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - More than half of African children are "non-existent"
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) – They are born, live, die, but do not appear to have ever lived: more than half of African children are still not registered in the list at the time of birth and thus are devoid of any right, resulting as "non-existent " citizens . This is what emerged in the II Conference on Civil Registry, being held in Durban, South Africa, organized by the Children's Fund for the United Nations (UNICEF). According to the calculations made in a poor rural area, where people live on less than $ 1 a day, a resident would have to pay $ 25 to register the birth of their child in an urban center and obtain the certificate. In the twenty-first century this legacy of colonialism that involves the recognition of the unborn and deaths still survives. Among other risks of this serious shortcoming, if minors are arrested, they are treated according to the laws that is applied to adults, since there are no documents certifying their age. The phenomenon has been recognized as being particularly serious in Somalia, Southern Sudan and Uganda. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2012)
- 2014-03-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding