ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III Laham calls for "an international campaign for reconciliation in Syria"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "For Syria, reconciliation is the only frontline." This is why "an international campaign for reconciliation in Syria" is needed shared by all the Churches in the world: it is the heartfelt plea of the greek-catholic Melkite Patriarch of Damascus, Gregory III Laham, launched in an open letter, while the situation in Syria degenerates and "the language of violence has swept all other languages." The letter - sent to Fides Agency- is addressed to Christians and all Syrian citizens, the whole world, noting "with eyes and heart full of tears," that the victims, in every community of the Syrian population, leave a trail of " family, social and national anxiety."
As a way to resolve the crisis, the Patriarch, for the umpteenth time, calls all for dialogue, "to go beyond our wounds, suffering and bloodshed", calling for a path of "reconciliation face to face."
The appeal notes that "this is the most difficult path but it is the only reasonable one, as it represents a guarantee for the future." In any case, he adds, "it is inevitable," because none of the parties in conflict can have the upper hand over the other. "Violence begets violence, dialogue strengthens and makes fruitful dialogue. Reconciliation prepares the hearts and minds for further dialogue and reconciliation."
The leader of the greek-catholic Church reminds us that "the Church in Syria is called to the ministry of reconciliation, with all means available," supporting the valuable work of the "Mussalaha" ("Reconciliation") movement, interfaith initiative, born in Syrian civil society.
The Patriarch, hoping for peace efforts shared by "all the Churches worldwide Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant," asks spiritual leaders to join their voices to those of the Church in Syria in "an international campaign for reconciliation in Syria. "
To the Syrian Christians "patience" is asked and not to leave the country, while to all Syrian citizens what is asked is the prayer to seek "a different path from violence", " so that in the end no one wins with violence, but everyone wins with forgiveness. " "For the ministry of reconciliation, I am ready to give my life" says Gregory III. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2013-06-03 ASIA/SYRIA - Melkite Archbishop of Aleppo: "Chaos and rubble in Syria. United with the Pope we call for dialogue "
- 2013-05-29 ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
- 2013-05-23 ASIA/SYRIA - The Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan Roham: the people suffer even when there is no fighting
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: the "bribes for the revolution" of the anti-Assad militias
- 2013-05-11 ASIA/SYRIA - Water emergency for 90 disabled Muslims rescued by Christians
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/SYRIA - International day of prayer for peace
- 2013-05-07 ASIA/SYRIA - International effort for the release of the Bishops kidnapped, but beware of fake mediators
- 2013-05-06 ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Audo: Easter in the tears of our Orthodox brothers
- 2013-05-03 ASIA/SYRIA - The Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Kawak: Turkey help us to free the kidnapped bishops
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SYRIA - Holy Week of the Eastern Churches begins in the sign of the bishops kidnapped