AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "The release of most of the miners arrested after the riots on August 16 is an important step to make peace" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg (South Africa) in whose territory the platinum mine of Marikana is situated, where there is still a state of agitation of the miners after clashes with police on August 16, which caused 44 victims (see Fides 28/08/2012). The South African justice has released 162 of the 270 miners arrested after the suspension of their indictment for the murder of their colleagues.
Meanwhile, negotiations continue for the so-called peace between the unions and the mining company with the mediation of the government. "Negotiations continue, but one of the unions said that the focus must be on the salary issue - said Mgr. Dowling -. The miners want a huge wage increase, from the current 4,000 to 12,500 Rand per month "
"So far, however, no agreement has been reached between the various union groups, which are in turn divided. On the other hand, the mining company is pushing so that the work in the mine resumes as soon as possible, because it is in financial difficulty. We therefore hope that an agreement can be reached soon, perhaps within the evening," the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2014-11-28 - Bishops reaffirm that the ordination of women to the priesthood is not recognised in the Catholic Church
- 2014-09-30 - Prayers in South Africa for the recognition of the martyrdom of Benedict Daswa
- 2014-09-02 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – New National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies appointed
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition