AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "The release of most of the miners arrested after the riots on August 16 is an important step to make peace" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg (South Africa) in whose territory the platinum mine of Marikana is situated, where there is still a state of agitation of the miners after clashes with police on August 16, which caused 44 victims (see Fides 28/08/2012). The South African justice has released 162 of the 270 miners arrested after the suspension of their indictment for the murder of their colleagues.
Meanwhile, negotiations continue for the so-called peace between the unions and the mining company with the mediation of the government. "Negotiations continue, but one of the unions said that the focus must be on the salary issue - said Mgr. Dowling -. The miners want a huge wage increase, from the current 4,000 to 12,500 Rand per month "
"So far, however, no agreement has been reached between the various union groups, which are in turn divided. On the other hand, the mining company is pushing so that the work in the mine resumes as soon as possible, because it is in financial difficulty. We therefore hope that an agreement can be reached soon, perhaps within the evening," the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer