AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "The release of most of the miners arrested after the riots on August 16 is an important step to make peace" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg (South Africa) in whose territory the platinum mine of Marikana is situated, where there is still a state of agitation of the miners after clashes with police on August 16, which caused 44 victims (see Fides 28/08/2012). The South African justice has released 162 of the 270 miners arrested after the suspension of their indictment for the murder of their colleagues.
Meanwhile, negotiations continue for the so-called peace between the unions and the mining company with the mediation of the government. "Negotiations continue, but one of the unions said that the focus must be on the salary issue - said Mgr. Dowling -. The miners want a huge wage increase, from the current 4,000 to 12,500 Rand per month "
"So far, however, no agreement has been reached between the various union groups, which are in turn divided. On the other hand, the mining company is pushing so that the work in the mine resumes as soon as possible, because it is in financial difficulty. We therefore hope that an agreement can be reached soon, perhaps within the evening," the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2014-03-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding