AMERICA/PARAGUAY - 90% of street children use drugs: it is alarm for the most vulnerable
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - 90% of Paraguayan children living on the streets is dependent on drugs. This is the sad reality that has emerged from a study by the National Secretariat for Childhood and Adolescence called Integral Assistance Program for children, street children and adolescents. From its first phase it seems that in Paraguay 90% of children between 12 and 16 years of age, homeless and living in vulnerable situations, has addiction problems and end up breaking up family ties to live on the street and clean car windows in order to survive. In recent months there has been an even greater number of children who sleep in the streets, markets and other places in Asunción. The analysis showed the harsh reality of the progress of drug use in youth and in many cases the subsequent refusal of the person to undergo treatment for detoxification. According to the coordinators of the Program, the main place where the young and adolescents gather is the central square of the city, known as one of the centers where the use of drugs is carried out. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected