AFRICA/CONGO DR - One million Congolese sign for peace, the petition delivered to the UN by religious leaders
New York City (Agenzia Fides) - A petition signed by more than a million Congolese against the war in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the balkanization of the Country, was delivered to the UN Headquarters in New York, Hervé Ladsous , Adjunct Secretary of the UN in charge of peacekeeping on behalf of the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, who is in Iran, by a delegation of religious leaders from Congo. The delegation was led by His Exc. Mgr. Nicolas Djomo, President of the Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO). With him Mgr. Pierre Marini Bodho, President of the du Christ au Congo Church (ECC), and El Hadj Cheick Abdallah Mandala, President of the Islamic Community in Congo (COMIC).
The mission of the Congolese religious leaders in the United States has the aim to raise public awareness and American political, economic and religious leadership on the strategy of destabilization in eastern DRC by guerrilla movements such as the M23, which for months is terrorizing the population of North Kivu. The goal of these groups, sponsored by external powers and interests, is taking unfair advantage of the vast mineral resources of the area. In past days, the Congolese delegation held a number of public meetings and met some American religious leaders. Today, September 4, it will be received by the Congress of Washington and will meet with officials from the White House. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23