AMERICA/PERU - "March for life and peace": Church and civil authorities promote commitment for safety
Trujillo (Agenzia Fides) -On 1 September the "March of commitment for life and peace " was held, led by the Archbishop of Trujillo, His Exc. Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, OFM., and representatives of the various institutions of Trujillo and La Libertad, characterized by a vast participation of thousands of people belonging to all social groups in the city.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference reports that the March started from four extreme points in order to reach the main square of the city of Trujillo, where some authorities and civil society representatives took the floor to make their commitment for peace known. The event ended with an agreement that was signed by all authorities. Mgr. Cabrejos stressed that the March "is a commitment for life, safety, responsibility and peace in the region."
Despite not having participated in the March, the Interior Minister, Wilfredo Pedraza Sierra, went immediately to the Episcopio to get from Archbishop Cabrejos Vidarte, the "Deed of Commitment for Life and Peace" signed by all authorities. The same minister thanked for the coordinated work of civil authorities and the Catholic Church for the benefit of public safety, and reported that he would deliver the Deed to the President of the Republic, Ollanta Humala. The city of Trujillo has suffered many acts of violence because of that crime which has increased in recent months. The Church has also proposed an awareness campaign to be carried out in schools, on respect for life and for the rights of citizens, in order to reach brotherly relations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2012)
- 2013-04-25 AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/PERU - Thousands for the March for Life, rather than a law, the testimony of the population
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/PERU - For the first time the "Sowers of Stars" march in the streets of the Peruvian capital
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
- 2012-11-13 AMERICA/PERU- Forced labor for 200 000 children in the region of Puno
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/PERU - "Being able to read, listen, see": a Congress on the ethical responsibility of spectators
- 2012-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - New website guides the faithful Peruvians in the Year of Faith
- 2012-10-17 AMERICA/PERU - "To carry out mission in an area where there are scars of violence": the testimony of the Archbishop of Ayacucho