AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - 270 miners have been incriminated in the deaths on August 16, "there is a risk of new protests," said the local Bishop
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "It is very strange that miners are incriminated in the deaths on 16 August and not the police officers who fired real bullets against demonstrators" said to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg, commenting on the charges of killing 270 miners, comrades of those killed by the police on August 16, in the platinum mine in Marikana. The local prosecutor indicted in fact 270 workers, who are still in prison, including those who were unarmed or who were on the margin of the crowd that clashed with police, who fired on the demonstrators, killing 34. In some previous clashes other 10 people died, including two policemen.
"The investigation concerning the behavior of the police is still open, so one should see if this will lead to a prosecution even against members of the police," added the Bishop. In the meantime, talks between the managers of the mine, trade unions and government mediators to find an agreement that allows to solve the crisis have been suspended. The talks will resume on Monday, September 3. "Let's hope for the best, but the negotiation is very slowly. The indictment of the miners is also likely to lead to more protests. The situation remains fragile," concluded Mgr. Dowling. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2012)
- 2014-03-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding