AFRICA/KENYA - "Calm situation, but we are waiting for the conclusion of the Friday prayers," said the Archbishop of Mombasa
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is calm, at least for now. We have to wait the end of the Friday prayers in the mosques of the city to see if there are any new demonstrations" says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa, the most important port centre in Kenya, shaken in past days by violent demonstrations of young Muslims who were protesting against the killing of an Islamic preacher, Aboud Rogo Mohammed accused by authorities of recruiting fighters for the Somali Shabaab (see Fides 28/8/2012). The clashes resulted in several deaths (including 4policemen killed by a grenade) and the destruction or damage of at least 5 Christian places of worship.
"We hope that sermons on peace prevail and not incitement to further violence," hopes Mgr. Lele. "Here in Mombasa there is a higher concentration compared to other cities in Kenya of Islamic extremist preachers, many from abroad, Somalia, other African Countries and the Arab world. In Mombasa in fact a large Arab community lives, " the Archbishop explains to Fides. President Mwai Kibaki went to Mombasa yesterday, where he launched an appeal for tolerance and peace. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2012)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army