AFRICA/SENEGAL - Church’s appeal to help the victims of the torrential rains
Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is mobilizing to bring material and moral support to the victims of the floods that for days have been scourging Senegal and at the same time launches an appeal to the universal Church so that it mobilizes through the Caritas network.
A statement sent to Fides Agency states that "the Catholic community in the Archdiocese of Dakar, under the leadership of its Pastor, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, expresses solidarity with all the victims of these disasters."
The Catholic Church - the message continues - in such circumstances, has mobilized to bring assistance and relief to flood victims. Senegal Caritas is already at work, through the participation in the Plan ORSEC (emergency plan in the event of disasters involving governmental and non-governmental organizations, ed) and in conjunction with its partners in the Caritas network abroad, to offer the support of the Church of Senegal."
The diocesan Caritas, through the parish are invited to identify the needs. All Church organizations, parishes and religious communities, support associations and voluntary, are called to mobilize for the national cause."
The faithful are then invited to contribute, within their means, with donations in cash or in kind to the efforts of Caritas.
At least six people died on August 26 due to the torrential rains that affected the Senegalese capital, Dakar. In less than two hours 156 mm of rain hit the city, which caused serious damage to property. Because of the emergency, President Macky Sall was forced to stop visiting South Africa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2012)
- 2014-01-16 - The 8000 Dakar missionaries committed to bringing "the joy of the Gospel" everywhere,
- 2013-09-09 - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria
- 2013-06-11 - Young Catholics from Senegal for peace in Casamance
- 2013-04-17 - The phenomenon of the 'talibé' continues to worsen: 20,000 every day in Dakar alone
- 2013-01-24 - Two purifiers will allow 1,800 people to have drinking water
- 2012-12-10 - Cardinal Sarr remembers the Caliph of Tidjaniyya, "man of respect, man of God"
- 2012-10-12 - More than 160 graves desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries, bronze crosses stolen
- 2012-08-29 - Church’s appeal to help the victims of the torrential rains
- 2012-06-20 - Emergency food crisis: 800 000 people are undernourished, millions of children at risk
- 2012-04-24 - Ziguinchor celebrating the ordination of its fourth Bishop