AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of Nicaraguan girls who get pregnant at a very young age is becoming increasingly alarming. In the country, one of the poorest in Latin America, home to 5.8 million people, in the past 10 years, the public health service has registered 1.3 million births, of which 367,095 due to teenage pregnancies, including 172,535 girls under 14 years of age. According to these data, girls and minors account for 27% of all births registered in public health centers, and 47% of these young girls are between 10 and 14 years of age. In 2000, the "teenage mothers" were 31% of the total. Although the pregnancy rate among adolescents has decreased, it is still the highest in Latin America, besides being one of the highest in the world.
The phenomenon of pregnancies among minors in Nicaragua is part of the cycle of poverty, so many young mothers are getting pregnant before their biological maturity. They are underweight, suffer from chronic malnutrition and give birth to underweight and stunted babies. In addition, 47% of them fail to complete the cycle of primary schooling. According to statistics carried out by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2009, each year 16 million women give birth between 15 and 19 years of age, 11% of all pregnancies in the world. In a study of the local Quincho Barrilete organization, carried out in 2011 among adolescents in Managua, 60% reported being forced or induced to having sexual relations with relatives, classmates, neighbors or the parents themselves. The Penal Code of Nicaragua provides that sexual intercourse with children under the age of 14, even if consensual, is tantamount to rape and is punishable from 12 to 15 years in prison. According to the study Indignation: Statistics on Sexual Violence in Nicaragua 2011, about 40% of rape victims in the country do not have access to the judicial system. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2012)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter