AFRICA/KENYA - Four Christian places of worship attacked in the clashes in Mombasa
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The second day of clashes in Mombasa, Kenya, between police and protesters demanding the killing of an Islamic preacher, Aboud Rogo Mohammed, accused of recruiting young people to be sent to fight in the ranks of the Shabaab in Somalia.
"Yesterday, August 27, four churches of Christian denominations not Catholic were burned or looted, but if the fighting were to continue, Catholic places of worship may also be affected," says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa. According to sources of the local press, the four structures assaulted are the Jesus Celebration Centre, the Neno Evangelism Centre, the Ziwani SDA and the Pentecostal Assemblies of God Church.
Aboud Rogo Mohammed was killed on August 27 by unknown persons who shot him while he was in the car with his family. The demonstrators accused the police of killing him in a real extrajudicial execution. "I do not think these incidents, however regrettable, will put the crisis the relations between Muslims and Christians in Kenya," said Mgr. Lele. "The people involved in the riots are in fact a minority." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/08/2012)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army