AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - State of national emergency for the worst cholera outbreak in recent years
Freetown (Agenzia Fides) - West Africa is experiencing the worst cholera outbreak in recent years. In Sierra Leone, home to six million people assisted by one of the worst health care systems in the world, with only one doctor for 34,744 inhabitants, a state of national emergency has been declared. From January to August this year, more than 13,000 cases has been recorded in the country, with at least 300 deaths, twice the number compared to the last epidemic records dating back to 2007. According to the local Ministry of Health, 8 of the 13 districts have been infected, including the capital Freetown. The situation in the northern district of Port Loko and the southern Moyama is serious. The infection is mainly due to lack of clean water and adequate sanitation, also the torrential rains have worsened the situation further. The country lives with diseases and infections every day. In the area of Mabela children splash around in the river with pigs, rummaging through garbage looking for something to sell, unaware of the dangers they face, while the pigs look for something to eat. In addition to Sierra Leone also Guinea, Mali, Niger and Congo are dealing with small outbreaks of cholera which are likely to get worse, in an area where two thirds of the population does not have a sewer system. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2012)
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of displaced by floods which hit the Country
- 2015-07-22 - Ebola: people want to go back to normality, but we must not let our guard down
- 2015-07-08 - Archbishop of Freetown: "people are making efforts to protect themselves against Ebola"
- 2015-06-18 - Schools closed for ebola: child abuse, teenage pregnancy, prostitution are on the rise
- 2015-04-15 - The Bishops: "We must be steadfast in the efforts to eradicate the Ebola virus disease and defend our democracy"
- 2015-03-09 - Care centers for children who have been in contact with family members infected by Ebola
- 2015-03-03 - Investigation into the embezzlement of funds allocated in the fight against Ebola virus
- 2015-01-31 - Entire populations deprived of basic health services: commitment to the re-opening of the hospital in Lunsar
- 2015-01-19 - Emergency Ebola: light at the end of the tunnel
- 2014-12-30 - Stigma and discrimination, Ebola also jeopardizes religious practices