AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishops' pain for the explosion in the refinery in Amuay that caused 41 deaths
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference has expressed "deep sorrow" of the entire Episcopate for the tragic events that took place at dawn on Saturday, August 25 in the refinery in Amuay, "events that shed in grief and mourn all Venezuelan people and, in particular, the inhabitants of the state of Falcón " which is located in the northwestern part of the country. The massive explosion, followed by a huge fire, which occurred after a gas leak in the refining system of one of the largest in the world, according to the latest toll has caused 41 deaths (including three children) and wounded dozens, some in a desperate situation because they are suffering from serious burns. A statement from the Government indicates that most of the victims were members of the National Guard and their families, who were in the buildings of Destacamento 44, which is responsible for the protection of the refinery.
"As Pastors of the Church - continues the statement - we want to convey our words of consolation and Christian solidarity to all those affected by this unfortunate event. May the faith in Jesus Christ, Lord of life, the doctor of souls and bodies, support them in their grief and grant peace that only He can offer. Prayers and affection on behalf of all the Catholics of Venezuela accompany them in this difficult moment." The statement concludes hoping that "the Lord allows painful moments like this to help grow in fellowship and in the spirit of collaboration all Venezuelans." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2012)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Tomorrow a Mass for the late President Chavez presided over by Cardinal Urosa in Rome