AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A difficult phase for the succession of Premier Zenawi begins
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - "After the death of the Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Abuna Paulos (on 16August), the death of the Premier is a new shock to the Country," say local sources to Fides from Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, where this morning the State television announced the death of the Premier (strong man of the Country), Meles Zenawi, which happened last night, (probably in Brussels, according to press reports) where he was hospitalized for a long time .
According to several international observers, Zenawi’s death (who ruled Ethiopia since 1991) is likely to open a difficult phase for the Country. "The risk of chaos is real, also because Zenawi had not prepared his succession, by allowing a new generation of leaders to grow," said our sources.
"Zenawi had the merit of reviving the national economy and to initiate the modernization of Ethiopia, but the problems his successors will have to face are many: from a possible advance of Islamic tensions between different ethnic groups in the Country, not to mention the regional context, with its neighbors like Somalia, South Sudan and Eritrea that have their own problems and may involve Ethiopia " say Fides sources.
"We need to pray for peace in Ethiopia, hoping for a peaceful transition" conclude our sources. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2012)
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system
- 2014-05-27 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – More support and availability for 15 million children, adults and elders with disabilities
- 2014-05-22 - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians
- 2014-05-19 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Missionary children evangelize their peers with the first Bible in Oromo language
- 2014-05-16 - Drinking water to save refugees and children from death and disease
- 2014-03-21 - Emergency in Ethiopia for tens of thousands of South Sudanese refugees