AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The bishops contrary to defining Zambia in the constitutional preamble as a "Christian nation"
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides)-The Bishops of Zambia hope that the current process of constitutional revision is successful after the previous three unsuccessful attempts to write a new Constitution.
In a document sent to the technical committee in charge of writing the new Constitution (which was sent to Fides Agency), the Bishops present some contributions which in their view should become part of the new Charter. First, it rejects the introduction of rules that provide for death penalty and abortion.
"In the preamble, the declaration that Zambia is a Christian nation should be omitted" the document states. "That is because - explain the Bishops - a Country cannot practice the values and precepts of Christianity, by a mere declaration. The principle of separation between State and Religion must not be lost. If Zambia is a multi-religious Country, a fact that was recognized in the preamble of the first draft of the Technical Committee, to say that Zambia is a Christian nation would be in contradiction with this fact."
Among other proposals submitted by the Episcopal Conference, there are regulations on citizenship and on the exploitation of natural resources of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2012)
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Valuable money is wasted due to the high number of by-elections" denounces Caritas
- 2013-03-15 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Why do so many by-elections deprive hospitals of the funds they need?"
- 2013-03-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christians launch a campaign to combat violence against women
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christian leaders: "We are extremely disturbed and greatly saddened by the electoral violence"
- 2013-01-29 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishops denounce serious violations of human rights, "the Country is not in a state of emergency"
- 2013-01-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The priest of Rwandan origins expelled in August returns to Zambia
- 2012-08-20 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The bishops contrary to defining Zambia in the constitutional preamble as a "Christian nation"
- 2012-08-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 130 priests call for the revocation of Fr.Viateur’s deportation
- 2012-08-07 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishop of Chipata protests for the deportation of a priest of Rwandese origin
- 2012-06-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 60% of health services in rural areas is managed by the Catholic Church