AFRICA/SUDAN - Bombing continues in the Blue Nile
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese "Antonov" (transport planes converted into bombers) have dropped 37 bombs on villages and civilians in the State of The Blue Nile. This is what the Sudan Catholic Radio Network reports, which cites Arnu Ngattulu Lodi, spokesman of the SPLM -North (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North), the guerrilla group that fights in the State, belonging to Sudan and borders with Southern Sudan.
According to the spokesman the bombs hit the village of Ora-Balila, killing three civilians and wounding 11 others.
Ngattulu added that the new bombing is designed to choke the possibility of reaching an agreement on the humanitarian situation in the State of the Blue Nile and Nuba Mountains, in the indirect talks in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.
In the Ethiopian capital talks are held under the auspices of the mediation of the African Union, to resolve territorial disputes and related to the sharing of oil revenues between Sudan and South Sudan. Both States accuse each other of supporting armed opposition groups operating in their territories, among which is the SPLM-North. Khartoum accuses Juba of providing assistance to this movement.
Among the disputed territories between the two States there are also the Nuba Mountains, which are part of Sudanese State of the Blue Nile. Tensions between the two Countries have led to border incidents and bombing on behalf of the aviation of Khartoum in some areas of South Sudan. The last attack was on 20 July when Sudanese planes hit a village in the southern Sudanese State of Bahr-El-Ghazal North. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/7/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security