AFRICA/MALI - The President ad interim announces the creation of new bodies in order to overcome the crisis
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The President ad interim of Mali, Dioncounda Traoré, who has just returned to the Country after a long convalescence in France (see Fides 28/07/2012), consolidates his power, with the creation of new institutional bodies.
In a speech to the nation Traoré announced the creation of a High Council of State (HCE), the formation of a national government unity, through consultations led by him and the establishment of a "negotiating committee" with armed groups that control the north of the Country.
"Most of the population has welcomed the announcement of the President" says to Fides Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali. "What interests the citizens is to put an end to the political crisis in the south and the political-military in the north. People think that the return of President Traoré and his speech to the nation are steps towards the resolution of the two crises."
"Unfortunately, the political situation is very complicated as well as the resolution of the crisis in the north is not easy because now also neighboring Countries are involved. But I think that in the coming days there will be important news for the solution of both crises," concludes Don Dembele. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2012)
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
- 2013-02-12 AFRICA/MALI - Religious leaders consulted on the crisis of the Malian army
- 2013-02-04 AFRICA/MALI - The situation is improving but the crisis is not over; Bishop of Mopti’s appeal for the displaced
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/MALI - "The need to face the challenge of national reconciliation immediately" ask the Bishops
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/MALI - The population of the cities liberated are celebrating
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Armed conflict exacerbates the already precarious country's education system
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
- 2013-01-23 AFRICA/MALI - Japan closes its embassy in Bamako, but there are no specific threats against foreigners