AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The community of Cucuta remembers its pastor who was killed on August 11
Cucuta (Agenzia Fides) – Tomorrow’s Mass at the parish Saint Mary Mother of God in the city of Los Patios in Cucuta (Colombia) will recall its pastor, a diocesan priest Pablo Emilio Sanchez Albarracín, who died tragically on Saturday, August 11, after three days of agony due to his injuries during a robbery in his rectory.
The Diocese of Cucuta (Colombia) has denounced this latest act of violence in a statement on the death of its father Pablo Emilio Sanchez Albarracín. The priest's funeral was held in the Cathedral of San José and the Eucharist was presided by the Bishop of Cucuta, Mgr. Julio Cesar Vidal Ortiz, concelebrated by diocesan priests and in the presence of a hundred faithful who also came from other parishes. The priest was buried in the cemetery Jardines La Esperanza.
The city of Cucuta has been experiencing a serious problem of public order for a long time, and there is little security for citizens. The local church has received numerous threats and "requests" to abandon the territory. Last July, the Apostolic Nuncio, Mgr. Aldo Cavalli visited the city to encourage the clergy and pastoral workers to continue their work. The Nuncio was also explicit in saying: "The Church will never leave these people and will not abandon her mission of evangelization" (see Fides 21/07/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/08/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The first Holy Colombian: "Mother Laura is not a utopia, but a concrete program"
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Every hour 2 children suffer abuse in Bogota
- 2013-04-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Diocese threatened by armed group
- 2013-04-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church calls for respect in political dialogue
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Truce of God for Holy Week, a call for peace with small gestures
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin