AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Alarm and concern about an uncontrollable cholera epidemic
Freetown (Agenzia Fides) - Freetown, capital of Sierra Leone, is now the center of a cholera epidemic, after the first confirmed case was found in the north of the country in February. On 18 July, the first reported case was from Marbella, a slum near the center of the city, where a large number of people meet continuously in the market that is open 24 hours a day.
According to the local Ministry of Health Care, every day there are 40 new cases in the area. In Freetown and in the neighboring western area, 410 cases and 9 deaths have been reported. The mortality rate is 2% and it is quite worrying, this is the worst recorded outbreak in the country after that of 2007.
The aim of the Ministry now is to contain the disease and clean up the environment. Since January exactly 4.249 cases and 76 deaths from cholera have been recorded in Sierra Leone. Out of a population of 6 million, 4,000 cases are a huge sum. Experts fear that the peak of the pandemic has not yet been reached. The government in the capital has created three emergency centers to handle new cases and all the clinics are providing free treatment for cholera. However in Marbella, a high population density area, due to impassable roads and crowding of the market, the inhabitants have no access to sanitation and housing are all very close to each other. This situation is aggravated by precarious hygiene, lack of clean water and poor management of food in the market area, which are all risk factors for the proliferation of the epidemic. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2012)
- 2014-08-21 - Seven Recollect missionaries remain alongside the population threatened by Ebola
- 2014-07-21 - Race against time to control the outbreak of ebola
- 2014-07-10 - The worst outbreak of Ebola puts health workers at risk
- 2014-04-10 - A functional and "colorful" pediatrics ward for children in the new hospital in Pujehun
- 2013-11-14 - Difficulty of access to deficient health facilities for 320,000 inhabitants of Pujehun
- 2013-09-03 - The harsh survival of people with disabilities in the Country
- 2013-06-27 - AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE – Death of "Bepi" Berton, the apostle of child soldiers in Sierra Leone
- 2013-06-11 - Human trafficking causes thousands of street children
- 2013-03-20 - More than 3,000 children forced to work in caves to pay for college and help families
- 2012-12-29 - Archbishop Rugambwa in Sierra Leone for the ordination of the Bishop of Makeni