AFRICA/EGYPT - Government reshuffle: President Mursi consolidates his power
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – On August 12 Egypt's president Mohamed Mursi ordered a reshuffle of the government, which led to the retirement of the Minister of Defense, Marshal Hussein Tantawi, hitherto considered the "strong man" of Egypt after Mubarak .
President Mursi appointed Abdel Fattah al-Sisi as the new Minister of Defense and Sidki Sobhi as Chief of Staff and Judge Mahmoud Mekki as Vice-President.
The Head of State also agreed to assume the legislative power, reversing the constitutional decree made by the military council in June (20/06/2012).
The Legislative Assembly had in fact been dissolved by a Constitutional Court ruling (see Fides 15/6/2012) and the Military Council had assumed the legislative power.
Mursi finally granted himself the authority to form a new constituent Assembly to rewrite the Constitution if the one in force were to encounter insurmountable obstacles in its application.
A military source, reported by the state television denied that there were negative reactions from the armed forces for President Mohamed Mursi’s decision to dismiss Marshal Tantawi. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/8/2012)
- 2013-06-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Mathias I’s visit postponed. No "Coptic mediation" on the Ethiopian dam
- 2013-06-06 AFRICA/EGYPT - The construction of the Grand Renaissance Dam involves Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia (and even Israel?)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt