AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Not only Rwanda but also Uganda supports the M23", accuses the Congolese civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides)- Fighting from the Congolese army, backed by United Nations troops and rebels of the M23 continue, in North Kivu, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. According to agency sources, the clashes are concentrated in the Rumangabo area, one of the strongholds of the M23.
Meanwhile, the provincial coordination of civil society in North Kivu denounces the support of the rebels of the M23, not only of Rwandese soldiers (as stated also by a UN report, see Fides 27/06/2012), but also of the military of the regular Ugandan army.
"We have verified information (the presence of 6 Ugandan military vehicles entered North Kivu, ed.) and firepower of the M23 attests to this. The information we provide to the authorities has to be taken seriously. Currently we are facing Rwandese-Ugandan aggression," he said, according to what is reported by RadioOkapi, the coordinator of the civil society of North Kivu.
The evidence of the Kigali government supporting the Congolese M23 pushed the United States to suspend military aid to Rwanda, while according to "The Guardian" the diplomacy of Washington has warned the authorities that the Rwandans could open an International Criminal Court investigation on President Paul Kagame and his entourage, for supporting the Congolese rebels accused of crimes against humanity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/7/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs