AFRICA/GHANA - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills
Accra (Agenzia Fides)-The Bishops of Ghana say they are "dismayed and shocked by the death of His Excellency John Evans Atta Mills, President of our dear nation" in a message published on behalf of the local Episcopal Conference (GCBC) and "of the whole Church of Ghana ", signed by His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Osei-Bonsu, Bishop of Konongo-Mampong and President of the GCBC.
"We want to express our deepest and sincere condolences to all the people of Ghana, while we mourn the father of our nation," the statement said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the First Lady, Mrs Ernestina Naadu Mills, and and the entire Mills family in this extremely difficult moment. We share the pain that plagues our country and family."
"We call on all Ghanaians to be united and to stay together in this difficult moment. We are in fervent prayer asking the God of all mercies to grant the soul of our beloved President eternal rest and may his soul rest in perfect peace, " the statement concluded.
President Atta Mills died suddenly on July 24. The Country's leadership was assumed by the Vice President, John Dramani Mahama, who swore into the hands of the Chief of the Supreme Court, Mrs Theodora Georgina Wood, during a special sitting of Parliament in Accra. Mahama will remain in office only until the natural expiration of the mandate of the deceased, which is next December. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/7/2012)
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/GHANA – Bishops launch the African Year of Reconciliation
- 2015-06-12 - The Bishops: "let us avoid repeating the language of those who want to destroy the family"
- 2015-05-12 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "Young people, stay in Africa, Europe does not guarantee comforts and pleasures"
- 2015-01-02 - "Corruption and widespread immorality threaten the nation", say the Bishops
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development
- 2012-07-26 - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills