AFRICA/GHANA - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills
Accra (Agenzia Fides)-The Bishops of Ghana say they are "dismayed and shocked by the death of His Excellency John Evans Atta Mills, President of our dear nation" in a message published on behalf of the local Episcopal Conference (GCBC) and "of the whole Church of Ghana ", signed by His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Osei-Bonsu, Bishop of Konongo-Mampong and President of the GCBC.
"We want to express our deepest and sincere condolences to all the people of Ghana, while we mourn the father of our nation," the statement said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the First Lady, Mrs Ernestina Naadu Mills, and and the entire Mills family in this extremely difficult moment. We share the pain that plagues our country and family."
"We call on all Ghanaians to be united and to stay together in this difficult moment. We are in fervent prayer asking the God of all mercies to grant the soul of our beloved President eternal rest and may his soul rest in perfect peace, " the statement concluded.
President Atta Mills died suddenly on July 24. The Country's leadership was assumed by the Vice President, John Dramani Mahama, who swore into the hands of the Chief of the Supreme Court, Mrs Theodora Georgina Wood, during a special sitting of Parliament in Accra. Mahama will remain in office only until the natural expiration of the mandate of the deceased, which is next December. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/7/2012)
- 2013-11-19 - " Ghana needs a new evangelization", say the Bishops
- 2013-07-13 - The Right to health care in the Constitution has to be included: the Catholic Campaign
- 2013-02-19 - Africa’s Catholic bishops confirm commitment to promoting human development
- 2012-07-26 - The Church of Ghana express their condolences over the death of President Atta Mills
- 2011-11-15 - "Use oil proceeds for the common good": appeal on behalf of the Bishops of Ghana
- 2011-10-24 - Meeting of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM)
- 2011-10-10 - Two million people with disabilities still hampered by lack of infrastructure and architectural barriers
- 2011-09-19 - In her prophetic mission, the Church has a positive role to carry out in elections, for the good of all
- 2011-09-14 - The Church must make a significant contribution to the peaceful development of the 20 forthcoming African elections
- 2011-04-07 - Cholera epidemic affects 5,000 people: worst in 10 years