AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Addis Ababa and Nairobi work together to avoid new tribal clashes along the common border
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - Ethiopia and Kenya have agreed to work together to reduce tribal clashes along the common borders.
A delegation from Kenya originally from the Turkana region went to Ethiopia this week for talks with their Ethiopian counterparts in Omorate, South Omo. The agreement was reached after tribal clashes erupted in late July between the community Borona and Garri in a remote area of Ethiopia near the border with Kenya. The clashes caused at least 12 deaths and more than 20,000 displaced in Kenya.
The two Countries have agreed to work to reduce tension on the borders and establish a peaceful relationship between the Turkana and Merille communities of both Countries, which often come into conflict with fatal results.
The two parties also established a joint safety inspections on the border and prevent the recurrence of ethnic clashes. The two governments have finally decided to build along the border, a joint pastoral school where children of the the Turkana and Merille community learn to live together. On both sides of the common borders, the two Countries have strengthened security measures to ensure peace and stop the tribal fighting. Competition for pasture and water along the poorly delineated border are the main reasons of armed clashes between the two communities. In May, Kenya and Ethiopia agreed to define a new international border to prevent border disputes and maintain peace and security along the common border. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/8/2012)
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system
- 2014-05-27 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – More support and availability for 15 million children, adults and elders with disabilities
- 2014-05-22 - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians
- 2014-05-19 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Missionary children evangelize their peers with the first Bible in Oromo language
- 2014-05-16 - Drinking water to save refugees and children from death and disease