AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Addis Ababa and Nairobi work together to avoid new tribal clashes along the common border
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - Ethiopia and Kenya have agreed to work together to reduce tribal clashes along the common borders.
A delegation from Kenya originally from the Turkana region went to Ethiopia this week for talks with their Ethiopian counterparts in Omorate, South Omo. The agreement was reached after tribal clashes erupted in late July between the community Borona and Garri in a remote area of Ethiopia near the border with Kenya. The clashes caused at least 12 deaths and more than 20,000 displaced in Kenya.
The two Countries have agreed to work to reduce tension on the borders and establish a peaceful relationship between the Turkana and Merille communities of both Countries, which often come into conflict with fatal results.
The two parties also established a joint safety inspections on the border and prevent the recurrence of ethnic clashes. The two governments have finally decided to build along the border, a joint pastoral school where children of the the Turkana and Merille community learn to live together. On both sides of the common borders, the two Countries have strengthened security measures to ensure peace and stop the tribal fighting. Competition for pasture and water along the poorly delineated border are the main reasons of armed clashes between the two communities. In May, Kenya and Ethiopia agreed to define a new international border to prevent border disputes and maintain peace and security along the common border. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/8/2012)
- 2013-12-11 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Inauguration of a new Catholic church for the small community of faithful in Herero
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - In the small community of Kofale mission begins thanks to children
- 2013-05-29 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Eritrean refugees protest against the regime in Asmara
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo