AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Green light to the transfer of the Seminary of Theology from Khartoum to Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The Holy See has given the green light to the transfer of the Seminary of Theology of St. Paul from Khartoum to Juba after consultations with the Bishops of Sudan and Southern Sudan. The announcement was made, according to reports from the Sudan Catholic Network, His Exc. Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, on his return from Rome.
His Eminence Cardinal Gabriel Zubeir Wako, Archbishop of Khartoum, Mgr. Paolino Lukudu Loro and Mgr. Erkolano Lodu Tombe, Bishop of Yei, went to Rome for consultations on the future of the major seminaries of philosophy and theology after the independence of South Sudan.
Earlier this year the Holy See sent the Bishop of Marsabit, in Kenya, Mgr. Kihara Kariuki, to check the status of major seminaries in Juba and Khartoum. Mgr. Lukudu, who is in charge to follow the seminars for the Episcopal Conference of Sudan, reported that the theology section has been transferred from Khartoum to Juba. He added that the philosophy section will be suspended for two years, while the buildings to house the students are ready at the St. Paul Major Seminary in Munuki-Juba. Mgr. Lukudu added that each Bishop will decide what to do with his seminarians in the philosophy section in the next two years. The Major Seminary St. Paul returns to its original home of Munuki-Juba. It had been transferred to Khartoum in the eighties because of the civil war. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/8/2012)
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We have nothing to do with the fundraising for our cathedral," says the Diocese of Torit
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
- 2013-03-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Death of Bishop of Torit
- 2013-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
- 2012-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
- 2012-12-04 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Somali immigrants accuse the security forces of abuse