AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - Mohamed al-Magariaf was elected President of the National Assembly, the body that on August 8 represents the legitimate power in Libya. The National Transitional Council (CNT), the body which had led the revolt against Gaddafi’s regime, and after his death had taken temporary power was officially dissolved.
The transition between the CNT and the National Assembly (elected on July 7) has been recognized with a ceremony with which the President of the CNT, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, handed over the powers to Mohammed Ali Salim, the eldest member of the Assembly. Magariaf in addition to being President of the Assembly, will exercise the functions of Head of State ad interim.
He will have to appoint a Prime Minister, promulgate laws passed by the Assembly and lead Libya to new parliamentary elections after a new Constitution comes into force.
Magariaf is an economist and was Ambassador to Libya, but he is a historical opponent of Gaddafi, having been one of the leaders of the National Salvation Front of Libya, an organization that since the 80s had made several attempts to overthrow the old regime . The new President is also a native of Benghazi, the capital of Cyrenaica, the city where the revolt broke out which led to the fall of the regime. An important signal for the eastern region that feel marginalized by the central government of Tripoli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/8/2012)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli