AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - Mohamed al-Magariaf was elected President of the National Assembly, the body that on August 8 represents the legitimate power in Libya. The National Transitional Council (CNT), the body which had led the revolt against Gaddafi’s regime, and after his death had taken temporary power was officially dissolved.
The transition between the CNT and the National Assembly (elected on July 7) has been recognized with a ceremony with which the President of the CNT, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, handed over the powers to Mohammed Ali Salim, the eldest member of the Assembly. Magariaf in addition to being President of the Assembly, will exercise the functions of Head of State ad interim.
He will have to appoint a Prime Minister, promulgate laws passed by the Assembly and lead Libya to new parliamentary elections after a new Constitution comes into force.
Magariaf is an economist and was Ambassador to Libya, but he is a historical opponent of Gaddafi, having been one of the leaders of the National Salvation Front of Libya, an organization that since the 80s had made several attempts to overthrow the old regime . The new President is also a native of Benghazi, the capital of Cyrenaica, the city where the revolt broke out which led to the fall of the regime. An important signal for the eastern region that feel marginalized by the central government of Tripoli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/8/2012)
- 2015-02-17 - “Filipinos are the only ones who remain to serve the growing medical needs of our people” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2015-01-28 - Assault on Tripoli: the shadow of the Islamic State on the shores of the Mediterranean
- 2015-01-13 - Copts kidnapped: jihadist websites spread photos
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya