AMERICA/HONDURAS - The strike on behalf of nurses in the country has ended, lasted 29 days
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - There are approximately 2,600 nurses from Honduras who have stopped the strike which for over 29 days has kept the country in suspense. The national protest of the nurses came to an end after reaching an agreement with the responsible authorities of the Ministry of Health care, according to the official news released by news agencies.
The auxiliary bishop of San Pedro Sula (in northern Honduras), Mons.Romulo Emiliani, who acted as mediator between the nurses and the authority of the Ministry of Health, told reporters that with the signing of the agreement "the strike ends which had put them all in a state of anxiety, causing pain in the country."
Underlying the protest was the creation of 250 new jobs for nurses and the payment of certain benefits, for a total of about 450 million lempiras (a little more than $23 million).
"The negotiations were marked by courtesy and sincerity, but also by difficult moments, and I am grateful because in the end an agreement was reached," said Mgr. Emiliani, who moved to Tegucigalpa for two weeks just to mediate in the conflict union.
The agreement was reached 2 days ago, but the population still lives in discomfort because even local doctors striked for 2 days and, more generally, for the serious deficiencies of the NHS. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/7/2012)
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Banda Calle 18 is willing to sign a peace pact, waiting for the government's response
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Also in Honduras the aim is to reach a truce between gangs following the example of El Salvador
- 2013-03-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "March for Peace", a traditional Via Crucis to stop the violence in the country
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Pastoral Care of Migrants also involves the parishes
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The participation of citizens in political life, frees people from violence," the Bishops’ message
- 2013-03-04 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - 520 women murdered in 2012
- 2013-02-12 AMERICA/HONDURAS - After 438 years the parish of Carmel comes back to life
- 2013-01-25 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Joint project for families living in extreme poverty