AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - "A vote in the interest of the nation and in accordance with Gospel values" ask the Bishops
Freetown (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Sierra Leone call on the faithful to unity and commitment in political life in a Pastoral Letter dedicated to the general election in November. The document, sent to Fides Agency, recognizes "that the Church is involved in the political process but is not partisan. In other words, the Church cannot champion the cause of any candidate or political party.
" "Our cause" – continue the Bishops-is the defense of our Country and its citizens, inspired by fundamental moral principles which are essential for every authentic human living."
The Bishops therefore call the citizens to vote for leaders who they believe to be able "to represent and serve national interests to the best of their abilities", but warn that "while you exercise your democratic freedom to vote, it is important to judge a party on its overall policy regarding the key values of the Gospel such as promoting life, human dignity, justice, fostering peace and good governance." It also urges voters not to vote on the basis of tribal affiliation, regional or linguistic.
In the conclusive recommendations the Bishops call on Catholics to reject all forms of violence, the politicians to accept the election result and the police to remain neutral. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/08/2012)
- 2014-04-10 - A functional and "colorful" pediatrics ward for children in the new hospital in Pujehun
- 2013-11-14 - Difficulty of access to deficient health facilities for 320,000 inhabitants of Pujehun
- 2013-09-03 - The harsh survival of people with disabilities in the Country
- 2013-06-27 - AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE – Death of "Bepi" Berton, the apostle of child soldiers in Sierra Leone
- 2013-06-11 - Human trafficking causes thousands of street children
- 2013-03-20 - More than 3,000 children forced to work in caves to pay for college and help families
- 2012-12-29 - Archbishop Rugambwa in Sierra Leone for the ordination of the Bishop of Makeni
- 2012-12-07 - Thousands of children are working in the diamond mines to survive
- 2012-11-26 - Elections: many promises, but no candidate has said where he will get the resources to implement them
- 2012-08-27 - State of national emergency for the worst cholera outbreak in recent years