AFRICA/KENYA - African Catholic Journalists participate in a conference: communication to promote peace
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Catholics Journalists from several African countries started on July 23 in Mombasa (Kenya) a four-day seminar on the role of media in conflict resolution, peace building and promotion of good governance. The conference, organized by "L'Union Catholique Africaine de la Presse " (UCAP) journalists from Kenya, Burkina Faso, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and other African countries will participate.
His Exc. Mgr. Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa, on opening the conference challenged journalists to try to help the continent, and urged them to investigate the illegal flow of arms and on emerging issues which could lead to new conflicts. Mgr. Lele also appealed to Catholics journalists so that they promote a Christian view using the new forms of digital communication. The Archbishop said that the Church looks at the emergence of the Internet as a communication network with interest.
"Social networks have not only changed the way we communicate, but communication itself, to the point that we could say that we are experiencing a period of great cultural change. The speed with which information can travel has reduced the world to a 'global village,' " stressed the Archbishop. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/7/2012)
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids