AFRICA/KENYA - African Catholic Journalists participate in a conference: communication to promote peace
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Catholics Journalists from several African countries started on July 23 in Mombasa (Kenya) a four-day seminar on the role of media in conflict resolution, peace building and promotion of good governance. The conference, organized by "L'Union Catholique Africaine de la Presse " (UCAP) journalists from Kenya, Burkina Faso, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and other African countries will participate.
His Exc. Mgr. Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa, on opening the conference challenged journalists to try to help the continent, and urged them to investigate the illegal flow of arms and on emerging issues which could lead to new conflicts. Mgr. Lele also appealed to Catholics journalists so that they promote a Christian view using the new forms of digital communication. The Archbishop said that the Church looks at the emergence of the Internet as a communication network with interest.
"Social networks have not only changed the way we communicate, but communication itself, to the point that we could say that we are experiencing a period of great cultural change. The speed with which information can travel has reduced the world to a 'global village,' " stressed the Archbishop. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/7/2012)
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus