AFRICA/KENYA - African Catholic Journalists participate in a conference: communication to promote peace
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Catholics Journalists from several African countries started on July 23 in Mombasa (Kenya) a four-day seminar on the role of media in conflict resolution, peace building and promotion of good governance. The conference, organized by "L'Union Catholique Africaine de la Presse " (UCAP) journalists from Kenya, Burkina Faso, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and other African countries will participate.
His Exc. Mgr. Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa, on opening the conference challenged journalists to try to help the continent, and urged them to investigate the illegal flow of arms and on emerging issues which could lead to new conflicts. Mgr. Lele also appealed to Catholics journalists so that they promote a Christian view using the new forms of digital communication. The Archbishop said that the Church looks at the emergence of the Internet as a communication network with interest.
"Social networks have not only changed the way we communicate, but communication itself, to the point that we could say that we are experiencing a period of great cultural change. The speed with which information can travel has reduced the world to a 'global village,' " stressed the Archbishop. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/7/2012)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army